The Association provides a number of grants for ASAB conference attendance, research, and interdisciplinary workshops to support its members and promote animal behaviour science. The grants available are: Undergraduate Project Scholarships, Research Grants, ASAB Conference Grants, and Interdisciplinary Workshop Grants.
For further detail on a specific grant please select it from the list on the right.
*The deadlines for applications are: 1st March, 1st July and 1st November of each year*
From 2008 onwards ASAB will focus its funding on Conference Grants, i.e. grants for conferences in which ASAB is involved as organizer. As a consequence, ASAB will NOT be able to provide Travel Grants for non-ASAB conferences.
ASAB has always funded more Conference Grants than Travel Grants, and applications for Conference Grants to attend any ASAB conference are encouraged (please see the Conference grants page).
Guidelines for Applying for ASAB Grants
Each year the committee deals with over 200 applications and enquiries for its various schemes. Some general guidelines for applicants are worth stressing here.
- Read the eligibility guidelines. It can be a waste of your time to apply for an award if you are not eligible in the first place. If in doubt please contact the Secretary of the Grants Committee to enquire. In the case of Research Grants, please note the additional requirement that all applicants must have been members of ASAB for a minimum of 1 year prior to application for funds (dated from postmark on the membership application).
- Make sure that your application contains all the necessary information. Further details on the information required can be found in the information for the specific grant.
- It is essential to justify the funding required. Often applications present a request for a single sum of money. A full breakdown of costs, and the reasons for them, is required.
- All applications should be submitted by email.
- Ensure that your referees' statements are sent, via email, to the Secretary of the Grants Committee before the relevant deadline.
Conflict of interest. To avoid potential conflict of interests between applicants and committee members, a committee member will not rank an application if he/she: (a) shares current affiliation with the applicant(s), and/or (b) has co-authored five research articles or more with the applicant(s).
If in doubt about any aspect of an ASAB Award or application then please contact the Secretary
of the Grants Committee.